http://www.trier.de/english

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

The Hike

Sunday afternoon, three of my friends and I hiked up a mountain to a monument called, Mariensaule. Okay, so in comparison to say, the Alps or the Rockies, it was merely a hill...but it was a pretty BIG hill. It took us about an hour to leisurely hike up the BIG HILL. But, it was well worth it once we saw the view.

We could see the entire city of Trier and even pick out such things as our dorm building, the Basilika (an old Protestant church, built during the Roman times), the Porta Nigra, and Roman Baths. It was as if a 3-D map of the city was rolled out before us. Just beautiful.

After our picnic, we headed back down. I couldn't help, but belt out lines from the 'Sound of Music' as we walked with our backpacks in tow down the incredibly green BIG HILL.

Later that evening, we went to a sidewalk cafe for dinner--I had 'Kaese Brot', which is an elegant form of a cheese sandwich, and a 'Cola Light'.

After dinner, we went and saw the film, "Wie im Himmmel" (Like in Heaven). I liked it a lot, but I also enjoyed noticing the little cultural differences at the theatre...
**They serve kettle corn, not butter corn.
**You can buy a beer to drink during the movie (those Germans and their beer!)
**EVERYONE waits until the credits are finished before leaving or even standing up.

Well, it was a full day and I slept really good that night!

This week, my classes have begun. I went to a lecture course in Media Studies (Media-Culture-Business) and also to a Intercultural Youth Literature class. I am still deciding what I am going to take...I have another lecture class in Media studies tomorrow about television. My "German as a foreign language" classes don't begin until next week.

Tonight, a film club on campus is showing the movie, Crash, in German. I think I am going to have to go and check it out.

Enjoy the pics!



The small monument on top of the BIG HILL is where we hiked to on Sunday...






This is me at the very top right in front of the monument. The city of Trier is just below. I guess my superman shirt was very suiting that day! :)





Here it is up close...this is where we had our picnic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home