http://www.trier.de/english

Monday, May 08, 2006

Gymnasium Klasse (visiting a high school class)

My friend Angie invited me to her English class in her Gymnasium (like our high school, but it lasts a year or two longer) because she and her partner had a presentation about American fast food. I was happy she asked me to go because it gave me the chance to 1.) see what a German gymnasium class is really like, 2.) compare their foreign language class to the ones I have experienced in the U.S. and 3.) it was nice to set a few things straight about American’s eating habits since I get the impression that most Germans think Americans are all obese.

They found it very interesting that Morgan Spurlock, director of ‘Super Size Me’, actually came to Nebraska Wesleyan to talk about the film. During their presentation, I talked about that and my impression of Germans compared to Americans. I explained to them that everything is so much faster in America. Here, people take their time more…when they eat, walk, or even visit with friends.

Needless to say, it was a good experience. I found it interesting that the teacher mostly spoke British English and I wondered if it was a bit difficult to understand me with my American dialect. All in all, it seemed as though they understood me well.

After their class, Angie and her partner, invited me to lunch as a way to thank you…a nice gesture. I am lucky to have found Angie because she has been a really good friend and we have both been able to learn a lot from one another. (I met her the very first time that I came to the dorm and I had to wait an hour outside for the landlord to let me in and she saw me and invited me inside, helped me with my luggage and also fed me lunch.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home