http://www.trier.de/english

Sunday, July 30, 2006

Munster with Juliane--the weekend before my last



I was blessed to see my friend Juliane again. She studies in Paderborn, but is from a smaller town in the area. I met her my senior year in high school when she was an exchange student and we have kept in contact ever since. I actually spent Easter with her this year at her home...

Well, we met in Munster at the train station. We were there until Sunday evening simply enjoying our time together. Mostly we just visited while sitting at a cafe or simply walking around the city. We speak in German together naturally, and it was good for me to see her at both the beginning and end of my time here because she compare my German from the two separate times.

It was too bad that we could not meet more often because of the distance (from Trier to Paderborn is 7 hours with the train)...but, it was nice to see her during both of our memorable visits.

While in the city, we went on a city walking tour, saw the movie "Das Haus am See" (better known as the 'lake house') and really just visited and caught up with one another. I could tell my language skills have improved because we could carry on much deeper conversations as compared to when I first saw here in April.

The city itself is pretty despite the fact that 90 percent of it was destroyed during the war. It is known for its church in the city center and also catherdal. Munster also has a remarkable high number of people who ride bikes. I know that is pretty much a standard for Europe...but, Munster holds the record in my book.

Nice weekend with some wonderful memories with a good friend!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home