http://www.trier.de/english

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Biking along the Mosel and Saar River--Friday, July 21

Before I went biking last Friday, I went to another part of the city to pick up a package. This other part of the city, Trier Ehrang, is quite far from where I live...it is actually across the Mosel River and around a couple vineyards. I took a bus to the street I thought I needed. (The reason I had to go to this certain Post office to pick up the package instead of one in my neighborhood was because there was an issue with customs...but, it got worked out after I got there.)

Well, I decided to go into an Apotheke (pharmacy) to ask for directions to this post office. The kind lady asked me if I intended to walk there, I said yes, and she gave me a concerned look. I realized then that I might have a problem...just as soon as I got worried about not being able to get to this certain post office, another kind, older lady said simply, that I should could take me with her because she knew where it was. Had it not been for her friendly demeanor and to be quite honest, her age, I might not have gone with her. Well, she introduced me to her husband who was waiting for her in their black, VW golf, by stating matter-of-factly, 'we are taking the young lady with' (in German of course).

It was not that the Post office was really SO far away, but I understand why they insisted on driving me...I would have had to walk along a dark underpass with really no sidewalk and it was in a more industrial area. This couple was so kind, the lady went with me inside the office to make sure it went okay, and her husband waited for us. THEN, they drove me directly to the bus stop I needed. I said I wish there was something I could do for them, but she gave me a hug, and said that it would be a good memory for both of us!

SO...after my nice encounter, I went and rented a bike. Since it was later in the afternoon and I was meeting friends later, I couldn't go for quite as long as I had hoped. I rode along the Mosel to another small town, Konz and then switched to ride my bike along the Saar river south toward Saarburg. I passed quaint towns with white, steeple churches and stone streets. This area is perfect for biking because she literally follow the river under the shade of trees. All together, I rode about 60 kilometers (about 30 miles, I think?) It was a nice, relaxing, mind-clearing day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home