http://www.trier.de/english

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Getting to know the Germans

So, after 3 months of being here (today marked the anniversary), I have a new perspective on not only the culture, but also the people of Germany. In some ways they defy the stereotype, while in other ways, I think they may actually contribute to it…

Before living here, I thought most Germans were extremely organized, punctual, and most of the times more serious than not. Like with any culture, I think it really depends on the individual. But, I can also say from experience, that Germans are very private people…for example, doors are always shut (I have a funny memory of waiting outside my ISEP coordinator’s office because I thought the door being closed meant that he was too busy to talk, instead I found out that the doors are always closed and all I had to do was knock.) and also they rarely will start up a conversation (it is so funny how it can be dead silent on a bus full of people), but they have always been so helpful and friendly to me whenever I initiated a conversation.

Two experiences recently shaped my perspective on the ‘stereotype’ of Germans….

I was heading back from Frankfurt on the train a week ago from this past Monday. I switched trains in the town, Koblenz and right before the train left the station, a girl about my age jumped on and took a seat right across from me. She asked me what number the train was and after that we really didn’t talk until right before we got to Trier. I asked her first what she was studying and she said law, so on and so forth. Well, after only visiting for about 10 minutes, she was happy to give me her handy (cell) number and she asked for mine. I was so surprised by this because it was the first time I had met a stranger here and we become friends so quickly. I met her two nights ago to watch the Ukraine/Switzerland game and to just visit…we talked for over 3 hours! I always considered the Germans to be very sincere, friendly people, but also very private and leery to start a friendship (most stick to a very close-knit group of friends)…so it was a nice surprise for me because I had been wanting to meet more Germans and we hit it off really well.

Another not so positive experience happened here in Trier when Ben was still here. We went into a small shoe store (so small that there weren’t even shoes being displayed except in the store window) and I wanted to ask the older, salesman if Ben could try on a pair of shoes. I didn’t know the word for ‘clogs’ and therefore described it and then pointed to it in the store front window (which I had to pull the small curtain back a bit, but I really didn’t think anything of it because I thought he would understand me better if I pointed to it)….well, I accidentally knocked over the shoe, but nothing else happened and I quickly apologized. All of a sudden, he raised his voice and all I kept hearing was ‘furchtbar’, furchtbar, furchtbar (which means ‘horrible)…It is funny how my mind stop comprehending what he was saying as soon as I got upset. He walked away and I didn’t know what to do….there was another couple there and explained to me what he said: He said that he wouldn’t go into my kitchen and open up my refigerator if I felt like it and that I should have gone OUTSIDE the store and pointed into the window instead of what I did. The lady said that it is a typical older German for you…everything always has to be in order and you don’t want to do anything to disturb them or their sense of organization.

On another note, I can’t believe I only have another month left! Where did the time go? I feel like I could see and do so much more here! I guess I am going through mixed emotions…I am excited to see everyone that I miss, but I am sad to leave this experience behind. I’ll just soak up the time I have left.



This is Alwina and me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home