http://www.trier.de/english

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Berlin Pics



The Berlin Wall and the only place where it still stands in tact. This is the east side of the wall. Before the wall was taken down, no one could paint graffiti on this side and it was strictly gray, but now it is called the 'East Side Gallery' and has since been painted full of pictures...some include Batman while others are simply abstract.




I was a bit disappointed that this picture didn't turn out clearer since it is THE picture to take while in Berlin...the Brandenburg Tor; for nearly 30 years, it marked the distinction between east and west Berlin because the wall was just behind it marking it off to all of those living in the west. This is also the backdrop of the infamous broadcasts of the Berlin wall coming down took place. I think it was actually built in the 1700s.




To put it simply, this sight shocked me. This is a column in front of the art museum near the Berlin Cathedral in the center of the city. These are bullet holes from WWII.




Checkpoint Charlie: The sign behind me marks the end of the American sector and looks onto the former east side of Berlin. There were two American 'soldiers' with the U.S. flag standing by the little building by the point and I refuse to post that picture because I realized after I took the photo with them that they were posers and not actually true soldiers. (My instinct tells me that since I had to pay for the photo.)





Berlin is really getting ready for the World-Cup...there are souveniour shops everywhere and even more soccer balls. But, I thought, who couldn't resist hugging this bear?

****Also, for some reason my email account has not been working, so I am sorry if you have wrote me and not got a response back. Hopefully, it will start working again soon...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home