http://www.trier.de/english

Sunday, July 30, 2006

Visiting Angie's home

Angie invited me to her home this past week. She comes from a small town in the Eifel Region (a heavily wooded, hilly area just north of Trier a ways). But, I first took a train to Koblenz where she and her papa and brother met me there. We drove to her sister's home, also in a small town, because she was having a birthday party. I had so much fun with her fun with her family! They were completely down-to-earth and easy to talk to. Wednesday evening we stayed at her sister and brother-in-law's, had breakfast together the next morning and headed on our way.

Angie, Anika (her cousin who also lives in the dorm with us), Angie's sister, and her mama, and I all drove back to Koblenz. They wanted to show me IKEA and go shopping a bit. I have to admit, I have never been to an IKEA in the states, but I can sure say that the Germans in this region sure love it here. It was packed on a Thursday and there was an even a restaurant within the store where we had lunch.

Later that day, we headed to Angie's hometown, Niederstattfeld, a town of about 600. This particular region is probably my favorite in Germany (which I have seen thus far) because the scenery is just beautiful. In fact, that evening, Angie, Anika and I went swimming in a lake near her home that in its place, a volcanoe once stood over 8,000 years ago. It is a complete circle and when you are swimming in the pretty blue-green water, you simply feel like you are swimming in a 'secret place' because the wooded hills just form around you as if you are in a hole.

Since I had to pick up my transcripts the next morning on Friday, I wasn't able to stay much longer. I feel blessed to have met Angie's family and I was sad to leave. They welcomed me into their home with open arms.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home